Monday 28 November 2011

Araby

Araby, by James Joyce, was published in 1914, in his series called Dubliners. I found this story kind of hard to follow, I do not know whether it was because I just had a hard time getting in to it, or if it was because of the style of writing, which I found to be all over the place (which could once again be because I found this story to be very drab).
The narrator in this story is a boy who is always out playing with his friends, who are also boys of his age.  He finds that he likes his friend’s sister and when she hints one day that she would like something from the market, he goes.  The narrator is expecting the market, Araby, to be some wild magical market, but instead, when he gets there he realise it is nothing more than a building full of materialistic items and people.  This also brings the narrator to realise that Mangam’s sister was just using him for materialistic reasons, to get her something nice, so she herself wouldn’t have to go and waste her own precious time and money.

I found this story extremely bland and lacking of interest.  The only reason I chose to write about this was because I still have six other blogs to fill up and figured if I complained a bit it would take up some space that I needed to fill, and make the load a bit lighter and a bit easier.  I would not recommend this story to anyone, unless you are reading the whole Dubliner series, then it might be a bit more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment